A's Press Release
A's Turn Back the Clock to Celebrate 1950s Oakland Oaks vs. Seattle
Teams to Wear ’55 Oaks and Rainiers Uniforms Sunday; Will Honor Former Oakland Oaks Players
OAKLAND, Calif. — The Oakland A’s will celebrate the 1950s Oakland Oaks with a “Turn Back the Clock” game Sunday, July 8 at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum in conjunction with the team’s 1:05 p.m. game against the Seattle Mariners. As part of the promotion, the A’s are offering specially-discounted tickets of $5 for Plaza Outfield tickets (regularly priced at $18) and $19.55 for Field Level seats (normally $24).
The A’s and Mariners will don throwback Pacific Coast League uniforms from the 1955 season, with Oakland suited in Oaks’ attire and Seattle wearing the uniform of the Seattle Rainiers. Ten thousand fans will also receive a replica 1955 Oakland Oaks Hat, courtesy of Cache Creek Casino Resort.
Former Oaks players will be introduced on the field during pre-game ceremonies, with those expected to participate being outfielder Anthony “Lil” Arnerich (1949-50), pitcher Ernie Broglio (1953-55), outfielder Don Farber (1954), outfielder-third baseman Joe Kirrene (1955), third baseman Don Moitoza (1955), first baseman Tommy Munoz (1952-55), second baseman Tony Rivas (1954-55) and outfielder Neill Sheridan (1953). One of the better known players was Broglio, who posted a 77-74 record and 3.74 ERA in seven years in the Major Leagues with the St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Cubs, and was best known for being traded to the Cubs for future Hall-of-Famer Lou Brock in 1964.
Other decade touches will include an appearance from an Elvis Presley impersonator, who will sing “Blue Suede Shoes” during pre-game festivities as well as the national anthem, in-stadium music and entertainment from the ’50s, and game day staff wearing outfits from that era. Fans are encouraged to wear ’50s attire as prizes will be randomly awarded during the game.
“Oakland Ball Park,” built in Emeryville at San Pablo and Park Avenues in 1913, served as the home of the Oakland Oaks for 42 years. Due to lagging attendance, Oaks’ Owner C. L. “Bricks” Laws relocated the team to Vancouver, B.C. after the 1955 season. Two years later, the Oaks’ ballpark was torn down and a Pepsi-Cola bottling plant replaced the venerable venue. Many years later, the bottling plant was also torn down and eventually became the current site of the Pixar Animation Studio. Among the great baseball names to once wear Oakland Oaks’ uniforms were managers Casey Stengel (1946-48), Charlie Dressen (1949-50; ’54), Mel Ott (1951-52) and Lefty O’Doul (1955), and such players as Ernie Lombardi, Billy Martin, Cookie Lavagetto and Artie Wilson.
Discounted tickets (online offer only) are still available for this special day on the A’s website at www.oaklandathletics.com/oaks, and using the online coupon code “OAKS.”