A's Press Release
Oakland Athletics Announce 2013 Schedule
Addition of Houston to AL West, Interleague Games vs. Cubs, Cards & Reds Highlight Home Slate
The introduction of the Houston Astros to the American League West and rare interleague home games against three of Major League Baseball's most storied franchises-the Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals and Cincinnati Reds-highlight the 2013 Oakland Athletics' schedule, which was announced by the team today.
The Athletics, who play 16 of their 28 games in Oakland during the month of April, will open the 2013 campaign at home, hosting the Seattle Mariners in a four-game weekday series April 1-4. Opening Night at O.co Coliseum Monday, April 1 will start at 7:05 p.m., preceded by the traditional pre-game festivities. It will mark the fourth straight year that the A's have christened their season in Oakland against Seattle.
Due to the Astros making their AL West debut next season, the Athletics will play only four games against cross-bay rival San Francisco-compared to six previously-in interleague play next season, visiting AT&T Park on Memorial Day and Tuesday, May 27-28 and then hosting the Giants at the Coliseum Wednesday and Thursday, May 29-30.
Next season's slate also features the Cubs' first-ever appearance in Oakland, as they visit the A's for a three-game series that includes a Fourth of July date (July 2-4). Other interleague home contests on tap include the 2011 World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals for a three-game weekend series June 28-30 and the current NL Central Division-leading Cincinnati Reds in a two-game set June 25-26. Besides the Giants, interleague road opponents include the Milwaukee Brewers June 3-5, Pittsburgh Pirates July 8-10 and the Reds Aug. 6-7. It will mark the first time Oakland has played in Milwaukee since the Brewers moved to the National League in 1998.
Oakland's schedule will be comprised of an unbalanced format that now includes 19 games against the Astros, as well as the other American League West opponents, the Texas Rangers (including a special Labor Day game, Sept. 2), Los Angeles Angels and Mariners. The A's also will play either six or seven games vs. all other American League teams outside of their division in a home-and-home series arrangement.
Other highlights of the A's 2013 home schedule include:
- A three-game weekday series against the New York Yankees June 11-13, the Bronx Bombers' only Oakland appearance next year.
- A three-game weekend series with the Boston Red Sox July 12-14, the Athletics' final games before the All-Star Break.
- Early home weekend series against playoff contenders Detroit (April 12-14) and Baltimore (April 25-28) in April.
- A three-game weekend series against another 2012 postseason hopeful, the Chicago White Sox, May 31-June 2.
- A stretch from July 25 through Sept. 8 when the Athletics will play 29 games at O.co Coliseum, staging their three longest homestands of the season. They will play the Angels July 25-28, Toronto Blue Jays July 29-31 and Rangers Aug. 2-4 during a 10-game home stay, then host the Astros (Aug. 13-15), Cleveland Indians (Aug. 16-18) and Mariners (Aug. 19-21) in a nine-game stretch, followed by a 10-game homestand against the Tampa Bay Rays (Aug. 30-Sept. 1), Rangers (Sept. 2-4) and Astros (Sept. 5-8).
- A final seven-game homestand against the Angels Sept. 16-18 and Minnesota Twins Sept. 19-22 before ending the regular season in Anaheim (Sept. 23-25) and Seattle (Sept. 27-29).
- While the A's play 29 of 40 games at home from July 25-Sept.8, their toughest test away from the Coliseum will come earlier in the season when they play a season-long, 10-game road trip in May at New York (3-5), Cleveland (6-9) and Seattle (10-12). They have 18 contests on foreign soil over a 24-game sequence that month (May 3-28).
Fans wishing to place a $150-per-seat deposit towards 2013 season tickets can do so by calling (510) 638-GO A's (4627) or by logging onto www.oaklandathletics.com/deposit. For each deposit placed, fans will be given the option to purchase an equal number of 2012 postseason ticket strips. Purchasing the full postseason ticket strip will guarantee you secure tickets to all potential home games at the Coliseum this October at the lowest possible price.