BALTIMORE -- Johan Santana's comeback effort has been stalled for at least the remainder of this season. The left-hander tore his Achilles tendon during an extended spring training game in Sarasota, Fla., on Friday, and will miss the remainder of the season.
"The rehab is significant for these tendon injuries," Orioles executive vice-president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said. "He won't be able to pitch for the Orioles this season."
A line drive hit Santana's left glut, and when the former Cy Young winner stumbled to pick up the ball, he tore the Achilles. Santana underwent an MRI in Sarasota on Friday afternoon, which confirmed the O's fears.
Santana had pitched well of late -- recording eight strikeouts and no walks in his last outing, Duquette said -- and was scheduled to rejoin the Major League club after Friday to continue his rehab.
"He had his velocity back and was able to back door his slider," Duquette said.
The injury leaves Baltimore without what was essentially expected to be a midseason acquisition to reinforce the pitching staff.
Duquette was viewing Santana in the same light as a player the O's could deal for at the Trade Deadline.
"It wasn't a given that he was going to pitch well, but he certainly would've come up here and helped us," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "Right now, I feel worse for him than I do for us. He worked so hard to get back from a surgery that not many people get back to the point he got back from."
Duquette didn't commit one way or the other as to whether the Orioles would be interested in bringing Santana back next season. Instead, he just pointed to his recent numbers and the progress that now has unfortunately been lost.
"We were looking for his leadership and his pedigree," Duquette said. "We invested in the rehab, we invested in the salary and, of course, we wouldn't have had to trade a player.
"Sometimes you can plan and do things right and they just don't work out."
Gonzalez placed on DL; Gausman starts Saturday
BALTIMORE -- The Orioles reshuffled their pitching staff on Friday, before the start of a three-game series with the American League West-leading Oakland A's.
Starter Miguel Gonzalez was placed on the 15-disabled list with a strained right oblique, retroactive to May 31. The hope is the righty won't be sidelined long, but for his turn in the rotation on Saturday, Baltimore will once again turn to Kevin Gausman. Though already with the team on Friday, Gausman will not officially be activated until Saturday.
The Orioles also added two relievers on Friday, recalling left-hander Tim Berry from Double-A Bowie and purchasing the contract of righty Evan Meek from Triple-A Norfolk. Right-hander Preston Guilmet has been optioned to Norfolk.
Gonzalez, who is 3-4 with a 4.17 ERA this season, had an MRI earlier this week. Though the results showed no serious injury, the Orioles decided not to risk starting him Saturday, especially after using six pitchers in Thursday's 8-6 loss at the Texas Rangers.
"[We] could push the envelope, might be available during that period," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said on Friday. "The problem is [Miguel] hasn't picked up a ball. He's going to try and do that today. We can't take a chance on him going out there in the first inning and having a problem with it and then we have a situation similar to [Thursday] night."
The plan for Gonzalez was to throw on Friday, then toss again in the next few days before pitching at either Bowie or Class A Fredrick sometime in the middle of the week. That would set Gonzalez up for a return to the rotation June 15-17. Baltimore closes a series with Toronto on the 15th and then opens a three-game series at Tampa on the 16th.
Berry, 3-3 with a 4.12 ERA at Bowie, is expected to head back to the Minors following Friday's game.
Infielder Michael Almanzar was transferred from the 15-day to 60-day disabled list to make room on the 40-man roster for Meek.
• The plan remains for reliever Tommy Hunter to pitch at Delmarva on Saturday and hopefully be activated to the Major League roster on Sunday
• The Orioles are in the midst of the First-Year Player Draft after sitting out the first two rounds on Thursday. Those picks were surrendered when the team signed free agents Ubaldo Jimenez and outfielder Nelson Cruz, who leads the AL with 21 home runs and 55 RBIs. "I kind of missed [being in] the first couple of rounds," Showalter said, "but not enough to give Nelson back or Ubaldo."
David Wilson is an associate reporter for MLB.com. Ben Standig is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.