04/25/10 3:33 PM ET
A's take cautious approach with Anderson
Left-hander exited last start with forearm tightness
By Jane Lee / MLB.com
Anderson was pulled from Saturday's contest having allowed just one run and three hits through six solid innings against Cleveland after experiencing the same type of soreness that flared up during Spring Training last year.
As a precaution, Geren said that the left-hander won't try to throw again until Tuesday, when the club is scheduled to play its first of two games at Tampa Bay.
"It's one of those things where we really won't know much until he throws again," the A's skipper said. "It's not something that affects him when he's doing everyday things, so he'll receive treatment and we'll go from there."
The 22-year-old Anderson, who just last week signed a new contract worth up to $31 million, is hopeful he'll make his next start Friday in Toronto, but Geren mentioned the club's off-day Monday provides flexibility in the event he can't take the mound.
Suzuki sits for precautionary measures
OAKLAND -- An already wounded A's team is taking precautionary measures with catcher Kurt Suzuki, who sat for the second straight game on Sunday with soreness in his left side.
The A's catcher was scratched from Saturday's lineup against the visiting Indians a little more than half an hour before first pitch was scheduled, but he said on Sunday he "woke up today feeling 50 times better than yesterday."
"I'll take another day," Suzuki said. "I'm available if need be, but, at the same time, it would be pointless if I end up hurting myself more."
The 26-year-old Suzuki, who went 4-for-9 in his previous two games, isn't quite sure how the pain arose, but an extra day of rest -- combined with Monday's travel day -- should have him ready for the club's two-game series-opener in Tampa Bay on Tuesday, he said.
Jake Fox, once again, filled in for Suzuki on Sunday while batting seventh. He entered the series finale against Cleveland batting 5-for-20 with five RBIs over his last eight games after going hitless in his first 11 at-bats.
Crisp on comeback trail from broken pinkie
OAKLAND -- An eager Coco Crisp, who has been playing catch with his right hand while rehabbing a fractured left pinkie finger, is slated to begin full baseball activity in two weeks, A's manager Bob Geren said Sunday.
Placed on the disabled list on April 3, Crisp injured his finger one day prior during Oakland's exhibition game against the Giants, when he was tagged by Juan Uribe while sliding into second base. Shortly after the injury, Crisp was told he would miss three to eight weeks, but that didn't stop him from lifting weights and playing catch in the meantime.
"Other than swinging the bat, the rest of his game is still being worked on," Geren said. "It's just a matter of him feeling comfortable and swinging the bat again."
Crisp, who signed a one-year contract with Oakland on Dec. 23, has yet to make his regular-season debut in green and gold. Upon his return in center field, Rajai Davis is expected to slide into left.
In his fourth rehab start, right-handed pitcher Michael Wuertz (shoulder) tossed two shutout innings of one-hit ball, while walking none and fanning two for Class A Stockton. Wuertz will stay behind while the club goes on a two-city road trip to continue his rehab work. ... Rajai Davis received the day off Sunday with righty Justin Masterson on the mound for Cleveland. ... Second baseman Mark Ellis (strained left hamstring) won't be joining the A's on their trip to Tampa Bay and Toronto this week. ... Reliever Jerry Blevins, sidelined since Wednesday after experiencing a back spasm, threw from a distance of 180 feet Sunday.
"He's much better," A's manager Bob Geren said. "We're optimistic for Tuesday."
Jane Lee is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.