5/4/2014 8:00 P.M. ET
A's make Norris a matchup play against Lackey
By Jane Lee / MLB.com
BOSTON -- The A's found room in the starting lineup for both of their catchers against Red Sox righty John Lackey on Sunday.
Derek Norris got the start behind the plate, marking just his fifth start of the season against a right-hander. John Jaso served as the designated hitter for the finale of the three-game series at Fenway Park.
"We continually try to run the best lineup out there on a particular day," said manager Bob Melvin, "and some of Lackey's splits suggest another righty would be in there -- so it makes sense to get a hot-hitting right-hander for us, and for us to get both our catchers in the lineup. It's just kind of a daily nuance we look at."
The veteran Lackey is sporting reverse splits this year. Right-handers are hitting .300 against him, while left-handers are batting .242.
Norris went 1-for-2 with two walks in Sunday's 3-2 win in 10 innings over Boston to raise his average to .371.
Reddick day to day with sprained ankle
BOSTON -- A's outfielder Josh Reddick exited Sunday's 3-2 extra-inning win in Boston after nine innings because of a sprained left ankle he sustained running out of the box.
He's considered day to day.
"There seemed to be a nice, big hole out there today," said Reddick, who went 0-for-4.
"We'll see how he is tomorrow," said manager Bob Melvin.
Reddick doesn't believe the injury is serious.
"I don't think it's going to be that bad," said Reddick. "But knowing Bob, he seems to give people days just to be safe. But if it feels good, I'll let him know -- depending on how I wake up tomorrow.
"I've had ice on it since I came out of the game. I've put more pressure on it, I suppose. We'll take care of it tonight. It shouldn't be anything too serious. But when it happened, I did have some pins and needles coming through, so it probably wasn't good to go out there."
Pomeranz may be heading for starting role
BOSTON -- The A's have always viewed Drew Pomeranz as a potential starting option, and there's a possibility they will use him as such sooner rather than later.
When asked on Sunday about potentially starting Pomeranz in the second game of Wednesday's doubleheader against the Mariners, manager Bob Melvin replied, "Anything's possible in that scenario, right now. I'm not ruling that out.
"He's a guy that has been a starter, and ... what we've seen of him in [Spring Training] and early this season suggests he could have success. So whether that's in a long role in the bullpen or the need is there for a starter, I think we've got him to a pitch count that would suggest, if that need came up, then he would be one of the guys we would potentially look at for that role."
Triple-A right-handers Josh Lindblom and Arnold Leon remain the top possibilities for a second Wednesday start. But it could turn out to be the perfect chance to further stretch out Pomeranz, who got up to 56 pitches in relief work on Friday.
His availability as a starter could become even more significant should the back end of the rotation continue struggling. Dan Straily and Tommy Milone have combined for a 5.44 ERA, though their places in the rotation appear safe for now.
"As we sit here, right now," said Melvin, "what we have is what we have."
Pomeranz, formerly a top prospect with the Indians, has a 1.98 ERA and 11 strikeouts in 13 2/3 innings with the A's.
"What we've seen is a guy with great stuff," said Melvin. "He's got a plus fastball, a breaking ball that's very tough to track. He is a power guy, and he's showed us, since he's been here, that he can get out right-handers, too. Incorporating his changeup a little bit more if, indeed, he is in a starting role, is probably something we're looking at him to do. But based on what he's done so far, he's been really good. It opens up some options for us."
A's claim Buss off waivers from Dodgers
BOSTON -- The A's claimed outfielder Nick Buss off waivers from the Dodgers on Sunday and optioned him to Triple-A Sacramento.
Right-hander A.J. Griffin, who underwent Tommy John surgery last week, was transferred to the 60-day disabled list to make room for Buss on the 40-man roster.
Buss, originally an eight-round Draft pick by the Dodgers in 2008, was just 2-for-19 (.105) in eight games for Los Angeles this year before being designated for assignment. The 27-year-old also hit .261/.330/.391 with three doubles, three triples and a home run in 26 games for Triple-A Albuquerque.
Buss was a Triple-A All-Star for Albuquerque in 2013, hitting .303 with 29 doubles, 11 triples, 17 homers and a Pacific Coast League-leading 100 RBIs.